Dublin, October 9, 2023
The Airline Pilot Club (APC), a respected authority in high-quality airline pilot development, has announced a pioneering approach to help address the ongoing global pilot shortage.
"We are entering a new era in aviation where traditional methods of pilot recruitment and training are no longer sufficient to meet the industry's demands," said Captain Andy O’Shea, CEO at APC. "Our solution is grounded in a holistic perspective that considers the entire lifecycle of pilot development. This comprehensive approach allows us to create a sustainable pipeline of skilled and diverse pilots, helping ensure the industry's future growth."
APC’s integrated end-to-end strategy and underlying technology helps connect aspiring pilots to a network of high-quality Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) and ultimately to hiring airlines. Throughout the pilot’s training and career, APC offers continuous support.
“The result of this interconnected community can be more efficient and effective training, reduced cost, and a faster career progression,” Capt. O’Shea said.
The APC community incorporates:
Aspiring Pilots: APC offers aspiring pilots a clear pathway to success. By engaging with potential aviators early in their education, providing guidance, and offering scholarships, APC is nurturing a new generation of skilled pilots who are ready to meet the industry's demands. This approach not only ensures top-notch training but also makes the journey towards becoming a pilot more accessible and inclusive.
Approved Training Organizations (ATOs): Partnering with premier Approved Training Organizations (ATOs), APC ensures flight training schools have access to cutting-edge resources and standardized training programs that meet the industry's highest benchmarks. This collaboration empowers ATOs to produce pilots who are not only technically proficient but also possess the resilience and adaptability required in today's aviation landscape.
Airlines: For airlines, APC's end-to-end approach translates to a stronger and more diverse pool of talent. Airlines benefit from a pipeline of skilled pilots who are well-prepared to embrace the challenges of modern aviation. APC's commitment to diversity ensures that airlines can tap into a broader talent pool, enriching their workforce with varied perspectives and experiences.
APC's holistic approach revolves around these key pillars:
- Early Engagement: APC engages with potential pilots at an early stage, introducing them to the exciting opportunities in aviation. By partnering with schools and educational institutions, APC sparks curiosity and interest, ignites their passion, and provides resources for those considering a career as a pilot.
- Comprehensive Training: Recognizing that effective pilot training is the cornerstone of a successful aviation career, APC collaborates with Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) to deliver high-quality, industry-relevant training programs. This ensures that pilots are well prepared for the challenges of the modern aviation environment.
- Career Development: Beyond initial training, APC offers ongoing professional development programs that cater to pilots' evolving needs. From mentorship initiatives to specialized training modules, APC supports pilots throughout their careers, facilitating skill enhancement and career progression.
- Diversity and Inclusion: APC's solution emphasizes the importance of diversity in the aviation industry. By actively promoting inclusivity and encouraging underrepresented groups to pursue aviation careers, APC contributes to building a workforce that reflects the world it serves.
- Technology-Driven Integration: APC leverages advanced technologies, such as data analytics and artificial intelligence, to optimize pilot recruitment, training, and ongoing performance assessment. These technologies enhance decision-making processes and ensure efficient training outcomes.
- Sustainable Growth: APC's holistic approach extends beyond immediate solutions, aiming for long-term growth. By addressing the entire pilot supply chain, we are laying a foundation for a sustainable and thriving aviation industry.
APC’s comprehensive integrated portfolio for pilots, flight schools and airlines currently features:
APC Engage – a comprehensive pilot recruitment platform connecting aspiring pilots with partner flight schools and hiring airlines. It provides a user-friendly interface to enable candidates to apply to opportunities in the aviation industry, and helps airlines streamline their hiring process.
APC Train – comprehensive flight training for Private Pilot License (PPL), Commercial Pilot License (CPL), and Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) licenses through high-quality partner flight schools which have been thoroughly vetted by APC subject experts.
APC Track - a cutting-edge, Artificial Intelligence (AI)-assisted airline tracking system to monitor and manage pilots’ progress – ensuring compliance with training requirements, certifications, and ongoing performance evaluations.
APC Select – a specialized service for airlines to efficiently select the best-suited candidates for pilot positions. Includes assessment tools, interviews, and evaluations for informed hiring decisions.
APC Mentor – ongoing support and guidance to pilots throughout their careers. Including mentorship programs, resources, and a network of experienced professionals to help pilots excel in their commercial aviation roles.
APC Consult – expert consultancy services to Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) and airlines to optimize training programs, improve operations, and ensure compliance with industry regulations and standards.
“APC's innovative approach not only addresses the immediate pilot shortage but also fosters a resilient aviation industry that can adapt to changing dynamics,” said O’Shea. “By taking a holistic view of the pilot supply chain, APC is committed to helping shape the future of aviation.”
About Airline Pilot Club: APC is a respected authority in aviation training and pilot development. With a vision to help reshape aviation's talent landscape, APC adopts a holistic approach that encompasses pilot recruitment, training, ongoing professional development, diversity, and technological integration. Through innovative solutions and strategic collaborations, APC is dedicated to ensuring a skilled, diverse, and resilient pilot workforce for the future.
Roisin O’Shea firstname.lastname@example.org
APC Media Notes:
Imagine a strategy that doesn't just look at the symptom - the pilot shortage - but rather the entire ecosystem that feeds into it. From nurturing future aviators through early engagement programs to collaborating with Approved Training Organizations (ATOs) to deliver gold-standard training, we're shaping the entire trajectory of a pilot's journey.
But that's just the beginning. We're not just training pilots; we're cultivating careers. Our commitment extends beyond graduation, with ongoing professional development programs that ensure our pilots stay at the forefront of industry trends and technological advancements.
The aviation industry deserves a solution that's as dynamic as the skies we conquer, and that's exactly what APC is offering. Our holistic approach isn't just about solving today's pilot shortage; it's about securing a future where the aviation industry thrives.
Captain Andy O'Shea, CEO of APC, commented, "In the face of a mounting pilot shortage, APC is not content with business-as-usual solutions. We are committed to helping steer the aviation industry towards a more sustainable future, and our end-to-end approach embodies this commitment. At the heart of APC's solution is a comprehensive strategy that reimagines pilot recruitment, training, and ongoing professional development. This approach acknowledges that the pilot shortage is not an isolated issue; it's a symptom of a broader ecosystem that needs meticulous attention."
The aviation industry is facing an unprecedented challenge due to the increasing demand for skilled pilots and a retiring workforce. In response to this critical issue, APC's holistic approach recognizes that the pilot shortage cannot be effectively resolved through isolated solutions. Instead, a comprehensive strategy is essential, one that encompasses various stages of pilot recruitment, training, and ongoing professional development.
The Airline Pilot Club has grown from 800 to 19,000 members in the past two years.
There are currently 12 ATO Partners which have been through the APC evaluation process. Four additional flight schools are being reviewed and are expected to become new partners soon.
· Aero Locarno (Locarno, Switzerland)
· Ansett Aviation (Case Nuove, Italy - Milan)
· ASG (Dublin, Ireland)
· Atlantic Flight Training Academy (Cork, Ireland)
· Aviomar Flight Academy (Rome, Italy)
· Bartolini Air (Lodz, Poland)
· Global Aviation (Athens, Greece)
· Global Flight Training Solutions (Immokalee, Florida, US)
· Professional Aviation (Ozzano dell'Emilia, Italy - Bologna)
· Schreiner University (Kerrville, Texas USA)
· Sevenair (Cascais, Portugal)
· Skyborne Airline Academy (Gloucestershire, UK)
APC will announce its first airline recruitment partner airline soon.
APC has a broad range of non-ATO partners as well, ranging from The Boeing Company as an investor and strategic partner; Pixid Ltd, an investor and a global recruitment SaaS specialist; global recruitment firm AMS; assessment company Symbiotics; Fantasy Wings - a UK aviation careers group supporting Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities; and the Royal Aeronautical Society, among others.
Captain Andy O’Shea was Head of Training for Ryanair for 18 years and was also the second chairman of the Airline Training Policy Group (ATPG), an independent cadre of subject experts who help to advise the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), unofficially, on near-term issues and long-term strategies for flight training.